donderdag 25 juli 2013

Family holidays and why I love them

I've always really adored the vacations and trips me and my family went on. Before I moved out and got my own place, it was very logical for me to go with my parents on vacation. I've actually never been alone (except for visiting my ex in England two times). We always went on vacation with our car, mostly because my father didn't mind driving, but also because they really don't like flying. 
We've been to a lot of places, but I think my favorite destination of all has always been Corsica. Even when my sister and I were little children, my parents used to take us there. To the bounty beach, to the laid-back camping site in the middle of the forest where you could spot snakes and try to catch lizards. 


My sister and me in Paris. Guess this was the summer
 before I moved out and really started appreciating her.
I think the most exciting part about our vacation has always kind of been the car ride. Corsica is a long drive, it even has a boat ride of 6 hours in it. I can imagine what a horror it must have been for my dad, driving for 24 hours straight with two screaming and fighting children in the back seat. I always hated my parents during those car rides, not even to begin of my sister. If I could, I would have probably scratched her eyeballs out in that car. But there was always this moment that it would change. Whenever you would get off the highway, pull up to this little town and search for your destination.. Dad would roll down the windows and you would feel the warm air getting in the car (after which we would ask dad to please close the windows and turn on the airco). Even if we'd been fighting for all the car ride, my sister and I would sit up straight, look at each other and smile. It was always this magical beginning of three weeks of happiness. 



Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten